Jaaluk Dia Paro’r Jul ( Pigeon curry with pepper) – A popular item during the winter months in the A
Jaaluk Dia Paro’r Jul ( Pigeon curry with pepper) – A popular item during the winter months in the Assamese kitchens of North-east India
PREPARATION TIME :- 20 mins
COOKING TIME:- 40-45 mins
SERVING :- 4 pax
1) 600 gm —— Pigeon meat (cut into 1 inch pieces)
2) 3 nos —— Potato (diced)
3) 2tbsp —— Garlic (coarsely grounded)
4) 2tbsp —— Ginger (coarsely grounded)
5) 10-12 nos —— Peppercorns (grounded)
6) 1tsp —— Turmeric
7) 2 nos —— Large onions (sliced)
8) 3-4 nos —— Green chillies (slitted)
9) 2 nos —— Bay leaves
10)1tsp —— Cumin powder
11)1 tbsp —— Garam masala
12)1/2tsp —— Cardamom powder
13) — —— Mustard oil
14) — —— Salt (to taste)
15) — —— Water
* Heat a kadhai or wok and add oil, let it heat up.
* Then add cumin powder and bay leaves, after about 10 secs add the onions and saute till translucent, then add the green chillies, ginger and garlic to it and saute for 2 mins.
* Now add turmeric and little bit of salt to it and pour the washed pigeon meat pieces in the kadhai or wok and saute for around 10 mins till slightly brown.
* After 10 mins add the cardamom powder and half the garam masala and saute for 1 min, then add the diced potato pieces and saute for around 5 mins. ( Don’t over fry the meat pieces)
* Add enough water and simmer for 20 mins on medium heat.
* After 20 mins add the grounded peppercorns and mix well, and check for seasoning, add salt if required,add some more water if required and cover and simmer for more 10 mins on high heat.
* At last add the remaining garam masala, mix well and remove from stove.