This college has achieved a position in the annals of higher education in the state. The results o
This college has achieved a position in the annals of higher education in the state. The results of the college, from the very beginning have been encouraging and on many occasions brought laurels to it. Pandu College is one of the pioneering institutions in the city imparting quality education.
The College has been accredited B+ grade by NAAC (National Assessment and Accreditation Council, Bangalore) in January 2004.
Pandu College is named after the place where it is located. The place itself derives its name from the Pandunath Temple that stands on the bank of the mighty Brahmaputra. There are references to Pandu in Kalika Puran and Madhu and Ketava by placing them on his own thigh. Hari, thus, recovered the stolen Vedas from their custody. People also believe that the Pandavas took holy dips in the Brahmakunda of the river Brahmaputra and climbed the Nilachal Hill to worship Goddess Kamakhya or Kali before they set on their final journey to heaven. Vashistha in his search for an abode of peace and tranquility once landed at Pandughat. As he was encountered by the demon king Narakasura he continued his journey eastwards and settled at the present hermitage. “Vashisthahram” on the confluence of three hilly springs Sandhya, Lalita and Kanta.
In 1586 A.D Raghudev Narayan, the Koch King rebuilt the Pandunath Temple. The Ahom King Gourinath Singha also donated land to the temple in 1707 shaka (1785 A.D) Pandu has been associated with many significant events in the history of Assam. During the region of the Ahom Kings the place assumed strategic importance in terms of defense against external aggression. Pandu was the chief military base during the battle of Saraighat where General Lachit Barphukan defeated the powerful Mughal army led by general Ramsingha in 1672.
As Pandu was surrounded by extensive fortification (gar), it is also known as ‘Gar Pandu’ . Pandu was earlier known as ‘Gar Padu’. Pandu remains one of the important ghats (river harbours) of the Brahmaputra. Some people believe the name ‘Pandu’ is derived from this word. Raibahadur Gunabhiram Barua in Assam Bandhu referred to Pandu as Paru or Padu which was main harbor of Guwahati at that time.The boundary of Pandu was the Brahmaputra in the North, Sadilapur in the West, Nilachal hill with Kamakhya Temple at the top in the east and the A.T. (Assam Trunk) Road in the south. This extensive area, comprising people belonging to different castles and communities was the populous Pandu village has now almost disappeared. Only a few families around the temple of Pandunath now bear testimony to the glory that was old Pandu.The 41st session of Indian National Congress (A.I.C.C.) was held at Pandu on 26th December 1926, which was attended by Mahatma Gandhi. Pandu had this moment of glory and celebration to its credit. To quote D.G.Tendulkar, Guwahati beat all previous records, and in an incredibly short time erected, in the midst of surrounding of natural beauty, on the banks of the Brahmaputra, a city under khadi canvas, Assam bamboo, Assam mud, Assam straw and Assam labour were responsible for the very simple but artistic huts erected for the occasion”(Mahatma, Life of Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi), Vol. II, New Delhi, 1969, P-238).