The GMDA was established in 1992 as per Guwahati Metropolitan Development Authority Act 1985 (amen
The GMDA was established in 1992 as per Guwahati Metropolitan Development Authority Act 1985 (amended).. It replaced the erstwhile Guwahati Development Authority constituted in 1962 under the Town and Country Planning Act, 1959 (amended). In order to ensure planned development of the Metropolitan area , GMDA has adopted the Master Plan and Zoning Regulations prepared by the Town and Country Planning Department, Govt. of Assam in the year 1992 and is now in the process of preparing a new Master Plan and Zoning Regulations.
GMDA’s jurisdiction extends over an area of 262 sq.km. covering the entire Guwhati Municipal Corporation area , entire North Guwahati Town Committee area and some revenue villages of Silasundari Ghopa Mouza, Pub Barsar Mouza, Dakhin Rani Mouza, Ramcharani Mouza, Beltola Mouza.