Jorhat Municipal Board
Jorhat became the last capital of Ahom Kingdom in the year 1794. During b
Jorhat became the last capital of Ahom Kingdom in the year 1794. During british rule after the introduction of Act of 1867 in the year 1880 an union Board was established to reshape the local administration and in the year 1909 the union Board was upgraded to Jorhat Municipal Board. A magistrate was appointed to collect the taxes and revenues. At that time the S.D.O. A.N.Peyrry gave emphasis on beautification of town by planting trees and erected lamp post on the street. Since then Jorhat has been growing rapidly over the year. The town has an area of 9.20 sq.km. comprising 19 wards with a population of 1,27,569 according to 2001 census and attained the status of ‘C’ class city.
At present, there are 19 wards in Jorhat municipal board having 1,27,569 population (According to 1991 Census) and present area of the board is 9 sq. Km.