(The blending of Mughlai and Telangana cuisines in the kitchens of the Nizam, ru
(The blending of Mughlai and Telangana cuisines in the kitchens of the Nizam, ruler of the historic Hyderabad, resulted in the creation of Hyderabadi Biryani)
PREPARATION TIME:- 2 Hrs
COOKING TIME:- 40-45 mins
SERVING:– 4 pax
1) 500 gm ——– Chicken
2) 1 1/2 cup ——– Basmati rice
3) 5 nos ——— Onions (sliced)
4) 3 inch stick ——— Cinnamon
5) 2 nos ——— Bay leaves
6) 25-30 nos ——— peppercorn
7) 1/2 tsp ——— Caraway seeds (shahi jeera)
8) 10 nos ——– Cloves
9) 1 tbsp ——– Ginger paste
10) 1 tbsp ——– Garlic paste
11) 1 tbsp ——– Red chilly powder
12) 1 cup ——– Yogurt
13) 2 tbsp ——– fresh coriander leaves
14) 2 tbsp ——– mint leaves
15) 4 tbsp ——- ghee
16) a few strands——– saffron mix in 1/4 cup milk
17)8 nos ———- Cardamom
18) — ——— salt( to taste)
* Heat five to six cups of water in a deep pan and add rice, bay leaves, 5 cardamom, 7 peppercorn, 1 cinnamon stick and salt. Cook till 3/4th done then drain and set aside.
* Heat sufficient oil in a kadai and deep-fry half the onion slices till golden. Drain and place on an absorbent paper.
* Grind caraway seeds,remaining black peppercorns, one cinnamon stick,cloves and remaining cardamoms to a fine powder and set aside.
* Take chicken pieces in a bowl add ginger paste, garlic paste and salt and mix. Add the spice powder, red chilly powder, half the fried onions crushed, yogurt, coriander leaves, half of the mint leaves and one tablespoon oil and mix. Let it marinate for about two hours in the refrigerator.
* Heat two tablespoons ghee in a pan, remaining cinnamon and cardamoms and saute till fragrant. Add remaining onions and saute till light golden.
* Add marinated chicken, stir and cook on high heat for three to four minutes. Cover, reduce heat and cook till almost done.
* Heat the remaining ghee in a thick bottom pan or dexie. Spread half the rice in a layer. Spread the chicken over the rice. Sprinkle remaining torn mint leaves. Spread the remaining rice and sprinkle saffron milk. Cover and cook under dum till done.
* Serve hot with raita of your choice.